toasted sesame oil cookies | the vanilla bean blog
I don’t want to be demure or respectable.
I was that way, asleep, for years.
That way, you forget too many important things.
How the little stones, even if you can’t hear them, are singing.
How the river can’t wait to get to the ocean and the sky, it’s been there before.
What traveling is that!
It is a joy to imagine such distances.
I could skip sleep for the next hundred years.
There is a fire in the lashes of my eyes.
It doesn’t matter where I am, it could be a small room.
The glimmer of gold Böhme saw on the kitchen pot
was missed by everyone else in the house.

Maybe the fire in my lashes is a reflection of that.
Why do I have so many thoughts, they are driving me crazy.
Why am I always going anywhere, instead of somewhere?
Listen to me or not, it hardly matters.
I’m not trying to be wise, that would be foolish.
I’m just chattering.

-Mary Oliver
toasted sesame oil cookies with bittersweet chocolate | the vanilla bean blog

toasted sesame oil cookies with bittersweet chocolate | the vanilla bean blog

toasted sesame oil cookies with bittersweet chocolate | the vanilla bean blog
Toasted sesame oil may seem like an unusual addition to a cookie, but it’s actually quite delicious. The nutty oil is sweetened by the sugar in the cookie, and paired with chocolate it’s a perfect treat. A little green tea ice cream doesn’t hurt, either (I got some from Snoqualmie, but you could also make your own).

Toasted Sesame Oil Cookies with Bittersweet Chocolate

I thought 2 ounces of chocolate was a good amount; a little bit goes a long way. But feel free to add more if you’d like! Makes 12-14 cookies.

2 cups | 10 ounces | 283 grams all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
16 tablespoons | 2 sticks unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups | 10.5 ounces | 298 grams granulated sugar
1/4 cup | 1.75 ounces | 49 grams brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
4 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
2 ounces | 57 grams bittersweet chocolate (chopped)

In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

Preheat the oven to 350. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

In the bowl of a standing mixer, mix the butter on medium until creamy, about 1 minute. Add the sugars, and mix again until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Add the egg, vanilla, and toasted sesame oil, and mix until combined. Add the flour mixture and mix on low until combined. Add the chocolate and mix until combined.

Place 4 cookies on a sheet pan, making each ball of dough (about 2.5 ounces | 72 grams per ball). Place the sheet pan in the freezer for 10 minutes. Bake each sheet pan (one at a time) for 11-14 minutes, until the edges are set and brown, and the middle is light brown and a bit crackly.
toasted sesame oil cookies with bittersweet chocolate | the vanilla bean blog

26 Responses to toasted sesame oil cookies with bittersweet chocolate

1. I just have to make these cookies, they look and sound absolutely amazing… and the touch of sesame oil I bet gives them such a delicious toasty and slightly smoky taste.

2. Kate says:

I’m fascinated by the idea of a sesame oil chocolate chip cookie. I bet it works beautifully with the sweetness and chocolate. And green tea ice cream, just perfect.

3. The texture of these cookies looks absolutely divine. The toasted oil would bring a lovely savoury hit to the cookie, making it just right for a sandwich. A tub of black sesame ice cream will also be on the menu when I make these!

4. danae garcia says:

Such a great recipe!! The cookies look so yummy! I also posted a cookies recipe on today’s post! Check it out!! xx

NEW BLOG POST!! Today we are back with a new RECIPE – HOMEMADE BUTTER AND CINNAMON COOKIES!! – All steps to make the best cookies for the perfect afternoon tea and to entertain!! Check it out!!

5. I love a good sesame hit via tahini in many sweet treats, but using sesame oil, now that’s just awesome!

6. Yes, yes, and yes. All around just great! From the poem to the toasted sesame oil … Have a great weekend!

7. Ohhh – I love baking with olive oil and I bet this would give the cookies an even nutter bite!

8. salvegging says:

Just made these! They are the biggest cookies I’ve ever made! I left them in a bit longer as they didn’t look ready to pull at 14 min…took more like 19-20. However they really crisped up once they cooled. Do you always bake them for 14? I baked off a few and stored the extra dough balls in the freezer. I don’t mind a crispy cookie, but next time I will pull a little sooner for more soft chew. The flavor of these is fabulous–with the sesame and vanilla. Thanks for the recipe! I’ve always wanted to apply sesame oil to sweets.

• Sarah says:

Wow! I’m so happy you made them today. I usually pull them when the sides are set and golden, and the center is turning brown but still looking a bit gooey. I do like the crispy edges. Mine were nice and crispy on the outside, and soft in the middle even on the next day. I’m so glad you liked them! I love toasted sesame oil and just thought I should experiment with it in baking. 🙂

9. What a sophisticated twist on chocolate chip cookies!

10. cynthia says:

My goodness, this could not be more brilliant or more delicious. And I love that you made green tea ice cream sandwiches with them, too!!! Incredible. I can’t wait to try this.

11. Rebecca says:

Love this poem. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

12. Kelly says:

I like the idea of sesame oil in cookies- really creative. Great poem too.

13. Chaya says:

the more i think about this combination, the more appealing it becomes. and then there’s the look of these- the thin, crispy yet chewy looking texture is EXACTLY what i want in a cookie. i must try these!

14. Abby says:

Oh, these cookies are so lovely, Sarah! Your photos are perfection.
    xoxo

15. […] This week’s incredibly tasty snack to enjoy with the film comes from our good friends at The Vanilla Bean Blog: Toasted Sesame Oil Cookies with Bittersweet Chocolate! […]

16. Jay & Cybill says:

Hi Sarah!

We host a movie review podcast and enjoyed making these cookies so much we made them our “Treat of the Week” for our review of Monkey Kingdom!

All the best!

17. naomi says:

I LOVE that you made green tea ice cream sandwiches with these cookies. And these cookies – YASSS!

18. Aleksa says:

I just made these and they are delicious!! Unfortunately though, I can’t really taste the sesame oil. The batter smelt so strongly of it but something seems to have happened from the freezing to baking that’s camouflaged the flavour. Should I add more next time for a more pronounced sesame taste? Thanks! Xx

19. Tieghan says:

These cookies!! I love the sounds of the toasted sesame, I have no doubt that is amazing!! And the ice cream sammies? Yes!

20. […] sesame oil cookies with bittersweet chocolate (Original Vanilla Bean Blog) 283g Mehl 1/2TL Natron 3/4TL Salz 230g weiche Butter 270g Zucker 50g brauner Zucker 1 Ei, Größe […]