labneh | the vanilla bean blog
I spent some time with Larry and Colleen Wolner while working on our column for Food 52, and one of the recipes we worked on was labneh, two ways. I had only approached labneh on the savory side of things, so topping it with raspberry coulis was a very nice surprise. The Wolners served it on thinly sliced toasted baguettes, and it was the perfect appetizer. Or dessert. I couldn’t decide.
labneh with raspberry coulis
labneh | the vanilla bean blog

labneh | the vanilla bean blog

labneh | the vanilla bean blog

I apologize for the space between posts lately. I’ve been busy over here testing recipes, and find myself wanting to put everything in the book. I’m trying not to neglect the site, but sometimes it’s hard to find time for everything.

A few things:

I really love this post by Phyllis.

I’m a super nerd and am reading this book.

I recently went to Los Angeles for the first time two weekends ago, along with some fellow bloggers and Hello Society. I had a lovely trip, and have a Steller story here if you want to take a peek.

My Kieffer Bros have a new puzzle game out: Blockwick 2! I spent almost an entire plane ride playing it. The game also made the itunes ‘best new game app’ last week; I’m so proud.

My last post for Wit & Delight: Grapefruit Rosemary Sparkler.

Cookbooks! I can’t wait for Tara’s book, and Sara’s book, and the new Food 52 book, and Kate’s book. (What other books should be on my list?)

Labneh, sweet or savory

The recipe for Labneh with raspberry coulis can be found here on Food 52. To make the labneh savory, follow the directions for making labneh. Roll the labneh into 3-inch balls, and place them in a small jar (or 2). Add a few rosemary sprigs, 8-10 whole peppercorns, and top with good olive oil. Let the mixture sit at least 24 hours, and up to 5 days. Serve the labneh balls with crackers, or toasted baguettes.

EDIT: I’ve had quite a few people asking about the strainer in the above picture – it’s actually a jelly strainer, and can be purchased at your local hardware store, or here online.
labneh with raspberry coulis

13 Responses to labneh, sweet or savory

1. molly yeh says:

where did you get that fancy labneh straining contraption?! so cool. and sweet labneh, yes (!!!) why has all the labneh in my life been savory up until this point? here i go down the sweet labneh road.

and p.s. i’m in love with these photos/those green kitchen walls πŸ™‚

• Sarah says:

I emailed Larry and Colleen about it – it’s actually a jelly strainer, and they got it at ACE hardware for under $10. Guess what I’m buying today. πŸ™‚

• krystal says:

I can confirm ACE has these, as I bought one yesterday. It is currently labnehing in my fridge. So excited!

I will say I found that if you start with non-greek yogurt, the strainer bag’s holes are a smidge too big. I’d recommend cheesecloth or a few napkins if you don’t have greek yogurt on hand.

2. Alex says:

Everything Molly said! I love this Labneh strainer.

3. cynthia says:

This labneh just looks so, so dreamy. I want the savory one for dinner and then the sweet one for dessert right after!

4. Abby says:

These photos are so lovely, Sarah! I adore this.

5. Kate says:

I’ve made multiple batches of labneh, marinated it, ate it and immediately wanted more. It’s like softer fresh mozzarella with an impressive tang and dense mouthfeel. I’m a bit loony over it. What a treat!

6. Oh my goodness. I can’t decide which one I want to eat first. They both look incredible!

7. Krys says:

This labneh looks divine. I’m whipping up my own batch this weekend to go with a roasted lamb shoulder and Israeli couscous dish I’m making for friends. I might need to try the raspberry coulis with any leftover labneh!

8. I want to labneh all over everything. Ok… maybe that wasn’t the appropriate way to phrase it, but it made me laugh. Seriously, though, I need that in my life. Big time.

I do love visiting your site but it makes perfect sense that you need to focus on all these other things. It’s all good stuff. Wonderful stuff, actually. And, besides all those wonderful books you mentioned, I’m beyond excited to see what you create.