peach crumble pie | the vanilla bean blog
peach crumble pie | the vanilla bean blog
Years ago, after completing college and moving back in with my parents for a spell, I would pick my Grandma up once a week and take her out shopping. She was close to 90 and could no longer drive, but was always eager to get out of the house and buy her own groceries and necessities. One of her favorite haunts was a neighborhood department store that she insisted on stopping by, and she would push her cart around the aisles aimlessly, happy to be out and about. This particular store didn’t have much for me to look at, but I would always wander over to the kitchen section and browse around until Grandma was ready to leave. I remember falling in love with one particular item: a glass cake stand with a heavy domed lid. Every week I would go back and debate purchasing it, but I had just graduated college without much in my bank account. So each time I would pass it by, dreaming of the cakes I could make to fill it.

That August I celebrated my 25th birthday, and there it was wrapped up so pretty: the cake stand I had been coveting. My parents gave it to me that birthday, but I’m pretty sure they were tipped off by my Grandma, who couldn’t help but notice me eying it each week. Almost twelve years later I still own the glass domed top to the stand, but the bottom chipped after I dropped it one sad evening. Over the years I’ve collected a few more stands, and use them frequently. But not just for cakes: for muffins and scones and cookies and fruit, also. I love having one perched on my counter; an interactive display of sugary goodness to brighten the day.
peach crumble pie | the vanilla bean blog
peach crumble pie | the vanilla bean blog
peach crumble pie | the vanilla bean blog
peach crumble pie | the vanilla bean blog
Last week the folks at Martha Stewart asked if they could send me a cake stand (pictured in the post here) from the Martha Stewart Collection (exclusively at Macy’s) and I could hardly say no. That very first cake stand was a Martha Stewart stand, and I had loved it dearly for years. I’m looking forward to all the birthdays, anniversaries, and get-togethers this new piece will be a part of.
peach crumble pie | the vanilla bean blog
(and, although I was given the stand, all my opinions here are my own).

peach crumble pie | the vanilla bean blog
Peach Crumble Pie
This pie is a recipe from the Martha Stewart webpage, and since I only made a few small tweaks, I will send you there for the recipe. I only made three small changes – I added a teaspoon of cinnamon to the streusel topping, and a good squeeze of lemon juice (about a teaspoon) and a good pinch of salt to the peach filling. It was delicious.
peach crumble pie | the vanilla bean blog
Also, check out the new Steller update, and my story there:

35 Responses to Peach Crumble Pie

1. Isabelle says:

Lovely post. Aren’t they nice memories: out shopping with your elderly Grandmother. And the pie looks absolutely delicious.

2. Maryna says:

Such a nice story! I am going to buy my first cake stand. Just saving some money for it. I could have asked my parents, but I wanna get it on my own . Then it will be two times more precious.))

3. The memory of your grandma is priceless … A good classic cake stand is a must and makes a kitchen complete, especially when filled with cakes and scones! The pie is lovely and aren’t the peaches just great right now?!?

4. Kathryn says:

I loved reading this post Sarah, it gave me all the warm and fuzzies ;) And a beautiful pie to go with it!

5. mimi says:

A lovely post. And an even lovelier crumble!

6. What a lovely story and even lovelier photos! Now I’m tempted to get a stand with a dome to display in my kitchen : )

7. I saw your Steller story yesterday and was like ‘I need that pie in my life!’. So yeah, I’m pretty excited about this pie.

Have a lovely weekend, Sarah! xoxo

8. Wow, what a beautiful story about the domed cake stand, totally had tears in my eyes! Peach crumble pie is a faaave of mine, definitely love the looks of your version!

9. oh geeze the story about going to the store with you grandma made my eyes well up with tears. I love that memory you have and especially that you still have the dome. and this new Martha base is beautiful!

10. This DEFINITELY looks delicious!! Omg. Loving that topping!

11. Alanna says:

That pie looks like it descended from heaven.

12. Tieghan says:

I loved this post and your sweet story. It is always fun to have special pieces that remind of happy memories and people we love. Also, I am a huge fan of Martha Stewart anything, so I clearly love the bottom stand too!!

And this crumble!! YUM! Love the photos too!

13. Nicole B. says:

What a sweet story – thanks for sharing. One of the first things that I received for our kitchen was a cake stand. I love it and the idea of using it for other things than just cake.

14. Riley says:

Aw man, tell Martha to send me a pretty cake stand!

15. Too funny! I have a ‘thing’ for cake stands too. This one is lovely, and the peach pie looks delightful. Thanks for sharing!

16. Raphaelita says:

Beautiful photos and an awesome pie recipe! Aloha ????

17. Dani says:

What a pretty cake stand and an even more delicious looking pie! I bought my first cake dome 2 years ago to house my very first Christmas cake so it could sit on the kitchen bench looking and smelling like christmas all December. Love them!

18. i use a little bit of speculoos and the peach crumble pie is better ;)
    Thanks for your fabulous pictures.

19. PassTheKnife says:

What a sweet story. I’m sure your grandmother cherished those moments together. Also, what an amazing pie recipe.. the streusel topping pies are my favorite!

20. Kasey says:

What a sweet story (your grandma was paying attention!) Those are some beautiful peaches, I might add. x

21. Greg says:

The story was wonderful to read and reminded me of my own special times I have with my grandparents. The pie looks delicious and the cake stand looks wonderful with that touch of color from the peaches!

Can’t wait to try it out my self
    Kitchen Monster

22. kristie says:

You make the most beautiful desserts. I love the look of this pie, and I can’t wait to try it myself!

23. I’ve never met a peach pie I didn’t love. Martha’s sounds excellent.

24. Laura says:

My eyes misted up when you were talking about going to the department store with your grandma and just her general happiness for getting out, with or without a particular purpose. Just love. And peach pie is my all time favourite dessert. That recipe looks so, so legit. xo

25. Such a lovely post, Sarah. And that pie. Beautiful. Thank you for sharing with us.

26. Lissa says:

This looks amazing. Your story reminded me of my grandmother and how she used to wander the aisles of her favorite stores. Your writing is beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

27. Erika Surmi says:

That pie though! This is next on my list. I just made a peach and blackberry galette with sun-drizzled California peaches! MMmmmmm http://www.therootblog.com

28. Paula says:

Thanks for sharing! The photos are really amazing and mouth-watering. I’m glad that the cake requires fresh peaches instead of canned ones – personally I’m not very fond of them… and when I use fresh peaches, I always peel them using this method: http://www.listonic.com/protips/get/ijkdgvctxl. In short, to easily get rid of peach skin, put it in boiling water for a while and then give it an ice bath.

29. Samantha says:

Oh wow, this pie looks incredible! I desperately want to try this! Will be a great dessert this coming winter too!

30. It’s funny how something as simple as a crumble topping can have so many variations, but this looks delicious and dark and textured…just like how my mum used to make!

31. Victoria says:

Mmmm, this looks delicious! I can only have crumble with custard though… lots of custard

32. Coach's Oats says:

Beautiful! We will have to try this recipe sometime. Thank you for sharing your lovely talents :]