pear + blackberry tartlets | the vanilla bean blog
sweet spring is your
time is my time is our
time for springtime is lovetime
and viva sweet love

(all the merry little birds are
flying in the floating in the
very spirits singing in
are winging in the blossoming)

lovers go and lovers come
awandering awondering
but any two are perfectly
alone there’s nobody else alive

(such a sky and such a sun
i never knew and neither did you
and everybody never breathed
quite so many kinds of yes)

not a tree can count his leaves
each herself by opening
but shining who by thousands mean
only one amazing thing

(secretly adoring shyly
tiny winging darting floating
merry in the blossoming
always joyful selves are singing)

sweet spring is your
time is my time is our
time for springtime is lovetime
and viva sweet love”
-E.E. Cummings
pear + blackberry tartlets | the vanilla bean blog
Spring! Is here! At least, our fingers are crossed it’s staying around for good. You never know in these parts.

A few things:
*If you’re a Flight of the Conchords fan, you may enjoy the new show Short Poppies,(on Netflix) starring Rhys Darby (who played Murray).

*Diala’s Kitchen! So beautiful.

*If you ever wanted to know how to make that Big Mac sauce at home, a chef from McDonalds shows you how (it’s not a joke, by the way. But it should be?).

*Two days left to vote in the Saveur Best Food Blog Awards!

*I’ve been enjoying Kate’s mixes.

*Burundi Beans are here! I’ve written about my lovely friend Kristy from Long Miles Coffee Project here and here, and you can find out about where to buy Burundi beans here. Support their amazing project!

pear + blackberry tartlets | the vanilla bean blog
Pear + Blackberry Tartlets

I have the recipe for Peach + Cherry Galettes here, and these tartlets are basically the same thing, except pears are substituted for peaches, and blackberries for cherries. They are also smaller. I doubled the recipe, and after the dough chilled, I cut it into 18 pieces (weighing 1 1/2 ounces each). Then I continued with the recipe, rolling each piece into a 5-6 inch circle, and adding less fruit to each piece. The tartlets baked for 30-35 minutes, and I was able to fit 8 tartlets on each sheet pan. They were delicious, and tiny, and perfect for a party.
pear + blackberry tartlets | the vanilla bean blog

25 Responses to pear + blackberry tartlets

1. Sophia says:

These look so lovely and I am impressed by how thin and delicate the pastry is (mine tend to look a bit more rustic!).

2. Skye says:

Beautiful words. Beautiful photos. Beautiful flavours.
    And now, I’ll take a peek at the links 🙂

3. Vanessa says:

Thank you – inspiring and yummy.

4. Love the tartlets, love the spring quote. Also, thank you for introducing me to Diala’s Kitchen; What a gorgeous space!

5. e.e. Cummings, blackberries and beautiful photos. What a lovely read over my morning coffee. Now to soundtrack cafe deux to Wit&Delight.

6. cheri says:

What a nice post, your pics are amazing. These tartlets would be perfect for a party.

7. Loving the cute little tartlets, Sarah! I baked some this past weekend but these are just beautiful. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for spring to stay, it’s time to eat all the berries 🙂

8. Tieghan says:

Such pretty photos like always and these tarts sound so good. Love the berries!

9. Ahhh I love Flight of the Conchords! Also, this is gorgeous, as usual : )

10. I walked outside yesterday and was immediately reminded of why I put up with such terrible winters… This spring weather is perfect (well, not today… it’s rainy today).

I am in love with this post… that poem, these tartlets. So beautiful.

11. These are so. perfect. I just want to hug them all and eat them at the same time eeeee. And beautiful post, Sarah, as usual 🙂

12. I love that poem so much – viva sweet love indeed! And these tartlets?! Awesome.

13. molly yeh says:

YEAHHHH SPRING!! gimme all the tartlets!

14. I think Spring is here too, but I’m not sure it’s staying (we usually get a dump of snow in May, just for good measure). These sweet tartlets look wonderful and so perfect for celebrating the new season!

15. Sarah says:

These tartlets look beautiful, and even though it is autumn and not spring here on the other side of the hemisphere, I’m going to bake some anyway.

16. Kathryn says:

Oh, I do so love e.e. cummings. Perfect words + beautiful little tartlets.

17. I got a little taste of warm Minneapolis weather this weekend! I’m sorry I didn’t get in touch in advance this time. It was a whirlwind trip, but I kept wishing you were joining in on all the baking. I was so happy to see your name on the Saveur list this year! Brava, Sarah!

18. Carrie says:

Truly lovely tartlets! And thanks for the tip about Short Poppies! I’ll have to check it out.

19. You won! How exciting and I have to say so well-deserved, congratulations… These tarts are making me crazy for farmer’s market fruit season, it can’t get here fast enough!

20. I love that poem!! Also–since I’m visiting this post late, also just want to say a big congrats for winning the Saveur award! Well done–you deserve it!

21. fanny says:

can i live in your blog?? <3
    these tarts are so beautiful.

22. […] For a more handheld option, make these pear tartlets. (The Vanilla Bean Blog.) […]

23. Don’t they just look amazing? What beautiful pictures!