banana pecan quinoa cake | the vanilla bean blog
banana pecan quinoa cake | the vanilla bean blog
banana pecan quinoa cake | the vanilla bean blog
banana pecan quinoa cake | the vanilla bean blog

‘Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.’ – Mark Twain

(I ran into these words by Mr. Twain this week. They were much needed after some unkind voices from the past spoke loud and clear unexpectedly. Letting go is never an easy task, aye?)

good to the grain | kim boyce

Banana Pecan Quinoa Cake
adapted from Good To The Grain by Kim Boyce

I didn’t stray much from the original recipe – I used pecans instead of walnuts, and added cacao nibs as an option (I loved them in there). I think a tablespoon or two of bourbon would be nice here, too. The quinoa is noticeable, but not overwhelming, and it pairs nicely with the bananas and pecans.

2 cups pecans, toasted
1/2 cup quinoa flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup cacao nibs (optional)
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
3 ripe bananas (about 1 1/4 pounds)
2 eggs
1/3 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350. Butter or grease a 9-inch round cake pan, and line the bottom with parchment.

In a food processor, pulse 1 cup of the toasted pecans for about 15 seconds. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, salt, and cacao nibs if using. Set aside.

In a bowl of a standing mixer, beat the butter, brown sugar, and 1/2 cup sugar together until light and creamy, about 3 minutes.  Add the bananas and mix until incorporated, about 30 seconds (batter may appear to be a bit curdled at this point). Add the eggs and mix until combined (be sure to scrape down the sides as needed). Add the sour cream and vanilla and mix until combined.

Add the ground pecans and the flour  mixture to the standing mixer bowl and mix on low until just combined. Scrape down the sides again, and finish stirring the batter until well combined.

Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of sugar over the top, and then sprinkle the remaining cup of pecans over the sugar.

Bake for 50-60 minutes, until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 20 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack (remove the parchment from the bottom) to finish cooling. Move to a serving platter and slice and serve at room temperature.
banana pecan quinoa cake | the vanilla bean blog

38 Responses to banana pecan quinoa cake

1. Beautiful pictures as always, Sarah. And that quote, I’m so struck by it. Powerful words.

2. Kathryn says:

Really lovely Sarah, I have a bag of quinoa flour in my pantry and haven’t yet come up with a use for it. I think this might be it.

3. This looks utterly divine. Beautiful words; beautiful cake.

4. Ashley says:

This cake is absolutely gorgeous. I am loving the addition of quinoa and your choice for pecans! Oh my word. YUM. What a gorgeous book!

5. Lovely quote, Sarah. Perfect at this very moment. I fell in love with this cake instantly. I saw it on Instagram and was like “I need to make that!”. I’m sure it tastes as lovely as it looks.

6. This looks interesting… My mom would like this!
    Country Girl’s Daybook ~ recently: How personal is too personal? http://bit.ly/1jo8A3E

7. Such beautiful photos and the cake looks gorgeous. Love all the textures

8. Laura says:

Beautiful images! And “Good to the Grain” is one of my absolute favorite cookbooks :)

9. tasleem says:

Hey Sarah the pics u post are just amazing n mark twain words are really helpful for peace of mind thanks n keep going on.

10. Beth says:

Hi there, if we wanted to omit the all purpose flour for gluten intolerance, is there something else you would recommend in its place?

• Sarah says:

Hi Beth! I would think a all-purpose gluten flour blend would work (like Bob’s or cup-4-cup), but I haven’t tried it, so I can’t guarantee 100% success. :) If you try it, let me know!

11. Shaina says:

Gorgeous. I love the quote, too. Forgiveness is a hard thing to master, and I’m not sure that anyone ever truly does, but we can all aspire to do it better.

12. cheri says:

This is such a great cookbook, one of my favorites for sure. Beautiful cake!

13. The idea of a quinoa cake is so intriguing! This looks lovely.

14. Ashlae says:

Oh, Sarah. This is just the most beautiful cake, accompanied by a beautiful quote.

15. Natasha says:

I have that cookbook – the olive oil chocolate chunk cake is delicious! I haven’t tried any of the quinoa recipes – this has got me intrigued though. Looks lovely!

16. Jennifer says:

Can I simply subsitute the quinoa flour for all purpose flour? I love quinoa but I find the flour quite strong tasting.

17. Absolutely beautiful! I can only imagine how amazing this cake tastes. I’ve been dying to start baking with quinoa. This is just the recipe to make it happen!

18. Sarah, this cake is calling my name… Beautiful pictures!

19. Nickie Gorsky says:

Has anyone noticed how expensive QUINOA is right now? I have taken it off of my weekly shopping list and have gone back to plain old wonderful rice. Anyone know what has caused the price hike? I am assuming that is is economics…demand is higher than supply. So, I will use rice flour because I never let one of your recipes go untested! Thanks for the great blog…Nickie

20. Tieghan says:

I am loving your use of quinoa flour the pecan are perfect. I bet this takes amazing and it is just gorgeous!

21. A quote we should all live by. Thank you for sharing. Now, as for this cake. I’m smitten. Seriously, as soon as I saw it yesterday I could just imagine how wonderful it smelled while it was baking. An inspired recipe… one I hope to try soon.

22. autumn says:

Quinoa is the flour in my arsenal that gets used the least frequently. So, I appreciate this little recipe and the gorgeous photos! Especially the first one and that sweet plate :)

23. […] Banana Pecan Quinoa Cake – I need to make this asap. Like, yesterday. […]

24. Mary Ellen says:

So glad to have found you and voted for you on Saveur!

25. Jen says:

Your pictures are stunning and this cake looks just fabulous, I can’t wait to try it. I have not yet done any baking with quinoa flour, can I find it at a typical market (where all the Bob’s Red Mill Flours are perhaps)? I am so happy to have stumbled upon your beautiful blog, looking forward to reading back through your previous posts.

26. […] – Health -(ier) cake options for the weekend. Buckwheat Pear, Amaranth Coffee & Quinoa Banana. […]

27. Yana says:

This cake looks very tasty! I must to try it, thanks!

28. Tad Davis says:

Ingredients list “baking powder.” Instructions say “baking soda.” ???

29. michelle says:

This was delicious! We loved how dense and flavourful the cake was.

30. […] apropos cupcake, denne kaken ser jo helt fantastisk amazing ut: Banan Pecan Quinoa-kake. Bortsett fra at quinoa-mel sikkert er umulig å finne og hvis man finner det sikkert dyrere enn […]

31. Claudia says:

Dear Sarah,
    I just baked your recipe and the cake turned just perfect. My only question is: do you think reducing the sugar