banana-chocolate-coffee muffins with whole wheat flour | the vanilla bean blog
I just got the notice, school is closed again due to cold weather. This never happens here in Minnesota, where we complain about the weather always but secretly pride ourselves in surviving it every winter. We are so strong, we can bike through blizzards! My daughter’s face will light up in the morning when she hears the news: you get to stay home yet again. She likes school just fine, but she loves home so much more.

And I like home so much more, too; I enjoy days tucked snug in our little house. But there are moments where the walls feel a bit too close together, and we are bumping into each other all day long, snippy and snappy and dreaming of oceans. We pull out mixing bowls and curl up with the same old books; there becomes less and less to say to each other.

‘Of course I’ll hurt you. Of course you’ll hurt me. Of course we will hurt each other. But this is the very condition of existence. To become spring, means accepting the risk of winter. To become presence, means accepting the risk of absence.’ (The Little Prince)
banana-chocolate-coffee muffins with whole wheat flour | the vanilla bean blog
I risk winter every year outwardly, but it’s taken me many years to begin to take a chance with it otherwise. I tend to fight it at first, but once January has set in, I usually decide to take the plunge. There is snow that muffles all sounds except a mind that won’t quiet, and a moon that seems to burn straight through frosted windows, it’s light cutting through skin and bone. There’s a wind so cold and clear it keeps the senses alive and awake through the darkest of nights. I breathe deep and rush in to ice and dark, and the hope of spring waiting for me, nearby.

A few things:

-Chris Pratt’s Ode To Jean Claude Van Damme (deleted Parks and Rec scene)

-’My smart little sister says that people are wrong when they talk about how you need to be brave to get out of your comfort zone, travel, and see things. The travel and perspective–the escapism, really–are a privilege. The real courage is needed at home, where the ordinary things don’t change unless you work to make them so, where you face old demons and new challenges, and where you can’t just get on a plane to the next destination.’ -The Yellow House

-I love Izy’s photographs.

-I was terribly excited to find myself on the Food & Wine blog last week. Also, some talk about books + food + other such things over on Paper/Plates.

banana-chocolate-coffee muffins | the vanilla bean blog
Banana-Chocolate-Coffee Muffins with Whole Wheat

You can, of course, mix things up – if you’re wary about using all whole wheat flour in a muffin, you could substitute some white. This will make 20-22 muffins. I’ve made banana-cacao nib muffins before, so if you’re looking for a non-whole wheat version (with a bit more sugar), they are here. These are also a variation on my Whole Wheat Pumpkin-Chocolate Muffins. The batter for these muffins is rather wet – but don’t worry, they bake up just fine.

2 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cacao nibs
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
turbinado sugar, for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350. Grease or line a muffin tin, and part of another.

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together, and make a well in the center. Combine the oil, milk, mashed banana, coffee, vanilla, maple syrup, sugar, and egg. Whisk the wet ingredients together and pour over the dry ingredients. Stir the ingredients together until almost mixed [there will be a few dry streaks]. Add diced banana, cacao nibs, and chocolate and finish mixing until just combined, being careful not to over mix. [Remember, lumpy is good!]

Scoop the batter into the prepared pans, filling the muffin cup about two-thirds full. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake until the muffin edges are golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out with the very tiniest bit of crumb, 16-20 minutes.
banana-chocolate-coffee muffins with whole wheat flour | the vanilla bean blog

49 Responses to banana-chocolate-coffee muffins with whole wheat flour

1. Kasey says:

We never get snow days here in California and while I’m certainly not jealous of the cold, I am jealous to have a reason to have to stay home all day. Enjoy, and stay warm. These muffins look like the perfect thing to bake up. xo

2. Sophia says:

What a beautiful post – one of my best friends is currently doing a PhD in Minneapolis and, now in her 5th year, I think she has slowly gotten used to the winters (although she still complains about them). You could also flip your words upside down and it would aptly describe my first summer here in Rome – when temperatures were hovering for weeks near or above the 40 degree mark. When traveling on public transport was out of the question. As was walking anywhere. When I started debating with myself whether I really needed to leave the house to re-stock the fridge. When I got up at 6 for your run, in the vain hope that a run at 27 degrees Celsius was doable for more than 30 minutes. When drank liter after liter of water (in part thanks to all the public fresh water fountains dotted around Rome) and yet never needed a restroom break as the water just seemed to evaporate through my skin. And yes, I fought it in the beginning. But by August, there was no point in fighting it. I cut back on the running as it was just too hot and instead started a big batch of coldbrew for iced coffees, wore the lightest fabrics I found in my wardrobe and resigned myself to not leaving the house between 12-3pm.

3. These look like the perfect snow day treat. Not that I’ve ever experienced a snow day here in Australia, but if I did, I would want these muffins.

4. yamini says:

i just put aside 2 over ripe bananas this morning to figure out something to make with them today…then while perusing my pinterest feed saw this…and it hit the spot. even though i have a million recipes at home…this was something i wanted to try and see. im a southern californian living in sweden…which is very much like minnesota so i get the snow winter references! thanks!

5. This recipe is totally killer! SO yummy.

6. Erika says:

That is my favorite line from the Little Prince. My daughter “painted” it on her wall. These muffins are prefect to make during those stay at home days. I bet they smell amazing while baking.

7. Anna says:

I have definitely had that feeling that the walls are closing in recently. On the really cold days, like today, I don’t get outside much because I think its just too cold to take my baby boy outside. He is happy rolling on the floor, but I’ve been feeling a little stir crazy. Today, though, I think I am ready to once again embrace the enforced time inside, the need for hot chocolate, baking and doing whatever I can to enjoy this time of year. Trying your muffins will probably be included in that.

8. Gorgeous post! I love your writing style. These muffins would be so good on a snow day. :) The banana, chocolate, coffee combo sounds amazing. I live in the South, so our snow days are rare and probably can’t be considered actual snow days compared to what people up North experience, but they’re pretty fun. I’d stay inside with these muffins all day, though.

9. Going to use this one, that’s for sure! My family is trying to eat more wheat instead of white flour anyway, so this will be a nice addition to the menu.
    ~ Country Girl’s Daybook, recently posted: #whywemarch http://bit.ly/1aEsJk2

10. Melody says:

I love that Little Prince quote. Such a good reminder for these cold days. And those photos! Stunning, as always. xoxo

11. Snow days are just so cozy and warm and perfect for chocolate banana muffins! : ) I love Izy’s pictures too, she has the best styling! Also, congrats on all the features, you deserve it sister!

12. Kankana says:

I know I shouldn’t say this, specially after listening all the stories from east coast, I still wish it had snowed out here too, even if just a little bit. It’s already pretty warm in CA and I think summer might jump spring and land sooner than expected. Stay warm and I am sure muffins would help :)
    Read your interview in F&W, congrats! xx

13. Chicago’s no Minnesota, but, even still, the weekend before I moved to Nashville, Illinois got a blizzard with four feet of snow. It was very woah. So my first winter in Tennessee, I was like, pssshaw, this isn’t cold! You sissies!

aaaaaand now I have totally changed my tune, am ready to move farther south, who needs snow, no thank you! haha. While I was home for Christmas, I hung out with my pal Jacqui and she was telling me how she’s gotten used to winter, and I asked her, HOW? What’s the secret? How do I learn to like cold? And she sort of shrugged, Eh, I don’t know, you get used to it.

14. These muffins look so wonderful and comforting! Love them!

15. These sound divine – the perfect way to shake up my banana muffin routine. I love that you used all whole wheat flour. I’m going to try these, maybe with greek yogurt and coconut oil?

16. Kathryn says:

I’ve always wanted a snow day – an unexpected treat to just pad around the house with no real plans and to know that you’re in the best place in that moment. Those are just the kind of days for baking delicious + wholesome muffins like these.

17. These muffins are completely gorgeous! Your day filled with baking and books is such a lovely image. Over here we’re playing yahtzee and poker – oh, these teenage boys take all the romance out of a snow day. But, they’re fun just the same. :)

18. I’m a real home body too, but totally understand that cramped feeling when everyone’s been cooped up too long! These muffins sound awesome and as always, stunning pics!
    p.s love to you and your feverish little ones xx

19. Tieghan says:

These muffins look so perfect! I am a huge homebody too, but yeah too much home time is not awesome either!!

20. I love the little prince sooo much it hurts.

21. Beautiful words, Sarah. The Little Prince, he knows. And these muffins? So comforting on an icy winter day when the wind beats against the sides of your house and you’re inside, cuddled up in front of the fireplace watching the logs burn.

22. Sarah says:

Aw, thanks for the shout-out. And thanks for the kind comment on my site, too.

It is arctic in Virginia, so I cannot IMAGINE what it must be like for you in MN! Geesh. I actually like winter, but single digits gets a bit old.

Hope you’re well. —S

23. Izy says:

Oh, Sarah! You’re too kind :) Thanks for the link-love. I feel exactly the same way about your photography, too! These muffins sound INCREDIBLE, such good flavours.
    Living in London, I’ve only had 2 snow days in my whole life, which were in the past 3 years. Having never had a snow-day previously I was the most excited person ever when I woke up that one morning to find out that I didn’t have to go to school. Because of snow!? Whaaaaat!? We haven’t had any snow yet this year which is kinda strange and as I don’t forsee any day-off muffin baking happening, I guess I’ll just have to make these on the weekend instead, oh well… ;)

24. Trisha says:

I love that quote about courage and making things better at home. Really true. And these muffins look divine as well. Banana and chocolate is a win! x

25. Oh my goodness… I was sure I’d commented on this post. We are the same way in New England… but a day spent indoors is a good one. These muffins are just so lovely… that combination shouldn’t work, but it always does. Can’t wait to give these a try!

26. Sarah, I hate to romanticize how stir-crazy you must feel with frigid weather and kids home from school, but I have to say I imagine your home to be cozy and filled with the smell of buttery baking. Your kids are going to grow up with incredible memories of this time. Hang in there!
    xo
    E

27. Laura says:

I love the Little Prince quote. This post is so well written, such a nice read.

28. Sacha says:

Ooo, I remember how much I loved the sound of this flavor combination in your last version. I love that this is a whole wheat version. They’re beautiful muffins and in the winter I’d much rather spend a day indoors with them instead of outside with the snow, that is until I too leave my cold home (though it’s admittedly not as cold as yours).

29. Jesh StG says:

Am happy I stumbled into your blog – lovely writing:) Fortunately I don’t have to deal with the cold, only when I visit my country of origin Holland. Ah, may favorite combination in muffins (when I make wheat flower pancakes I put choc chips and banana slices on top)!

30. Medha says:

These muffins are gorgeous! Can’t wait to give this a try. Beautiful post – love your blog!

31. What a beautiful post, Sarah. “Snippy and snappy and dreaming of oceans” — that’s definitely been me lately (my poor boyfriend). I love the idea of these muffins (banana and chocolate and coffee? Count me in) to stave off the January blues. Hope you and yours are doing better after everything you’ve been going through this past weeks!

32. These muffins look so lovely! I will definitely be giving the recipe a try– love the wholesome flavor of whole wheat flour too.

33. Lisa Adams says:

I just wanted to thank you for all of your inspiration via pinterest. You were one of the first people I was turned on to and I feel like we are pinterest Sisters. Your boards gave me the confidence to start my own blog. (http://www.lisaadamsinnyc.com/allgoodthings/) I’ve been a personal chef for years, and am now connecting with so many more people than my weekly clients each week. I am just now seeing your blog for the first time and I’m noxious to start back at the beginning. Yay for social media!
    All good things to you, Lisa

34. Nora says:

These look delicious!
    Quick question:

Would any “healthier” subsitute work for buttermilk? Maybe low fat milk or vanilla almond milk? I don’t bake with buttermilk really so I am not sure how sub-ing it will effect the muffins. Thank you!

35. Love the addition of coffee – it completes breakfast!

36. Gretchen says:

I made these muffins today to combat a dreadfully cold kitchen. The scent of warm bananas and chocolate baking was the perfect antidote to the bleary gray day. My always hungry children add their hearty approval. Thanks much for the lovely recipe!

37. Liz says:

oh goodness, we have had so many snow days! we have to go an additional few days this summer. this looks like the perfect recipe for this bitter weather.

38. Ngan says:

Wow that was odd. I just wrote an extremely long comment but after
    I clicked submit my comment didn’t appear. Grrrr…

well I’m not writing all that over again. Anyhow, just wanted to say excellent blog!

39. Claire says:

Thank you for this fabulous recipe! I made them today and shared the recipe on my blog.
    I just found your blog last week and it is one of my new favorites. It’s beautiful to view, great recipes, and great writing. Thank you!

40. My friend made these a few weeks ago, shared ‘em with me, + I loved them! So, I made a riff on them yesterday, substituting mashed apples for the bananas, chocolate milk for the buttermilk, and adding more chocolate to compensate for no cocoa nibs. Gotta be flexible with what you already have in the house. =) They turned out fab! Thanks for a great recipe!

41. I am loving the combination of chocolate, banana and coffee. I don’t think I have had it before but is sounds delicious!

42. […] from The Vanilla Bean Blog. **Photography courtesy of Hoi Yee […]