waflles with rhubarb-blueberry-cardamom compote | the vanilla bean blog
{most my anxiety and nightly begging pleading praying musings summed up in a nutshell. just throw in some fear of dying and you’ve got me:}

‘The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for. And the most you can do is live inside that hope. Not admire it from a distance but live right in it, under its roof. What I want is so simple I almost can’t say it: elementary kindness. Enough to eat, enough to go around. The possibility that kids might one day grow up to be neither the destroyers nor the destroyed. That’s about it. Right now I’m living in that hope, running down its hallway and touching the walls on both sides.’ – Barbara Kingsolver

{still, the morning comes, and she is kind. I  am greeted with kisses and whispers, little arms and legs rushing with smiles and snuggles and demands for waffles. so we break our bread together and spend our days giving in to joy, hoping it will once more bring us through the night…}
waffles with rhubarb-blueberry-cardamom compote | the vanilla bean blog

waffles with rhubarb-blueberry-cardamom compote | the vanilla bean blog
Whole Wheat Waffles with Rhubarb-Blueberry-Cardamom Compote

For the waffles, I always use the FauxMartha’s whole wheat waffle recipe. It’s never failed me. (Although, I will be trying this raised waffle recipe soon, and this multigrain recipe recipe has been on my to-do list. If you need a gluten-free option, this one and this one look good.) I served them with a little whipped cream, too, but next time am going to make this coconut milk version.
waffles with rhubarb-blueberry-cardamom compote | the vanilla bean blog
rhubarb-blueberry-cardamom compote

I hardly used any sugar here – I wanted to keep it out as much as possible, but felt a little was needed to cut the tartness of the rhubarb. Honey is added at the end, and I thought 3 tablespoons was perfect; the blueberries lend some sweetness as well, but feel free to add more honey to taste. The cardamom flavor needs a good 12 hours to develop, and the pods are slightly annoying – they need to be removed before serving (they can be a little tricky to find in the compote). You can omit them if you don’t want the trouble, or use ground cardamom instead (I’m thinking 1-2 teaspoons).  I liked serving this warm, and gently reheated it before serving. This is so tasty! I think it would be wonderful over ice cream, as well.

1 pound rhubarb, chopped into 2 inch pieces
10 cardamom pods, gently crushed
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 cup blueberries
3 tablespoons honey (more or less to taste, see note)
2 teaspoons vanilla

Place the rhubarb, cardamom pods, sugar, and water in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil, and then let simmer for 10-15 minutes until the rhubarb is tender. Add the blueberries and cook gently until blueberries are soft, but haven’t lost their shape. Remove from heat, and stir in the vanilla and honey to taste. Serve warm or cold.
waffles with rhubarb-blueberry-cardamom compote | the vanilla bean blog

27 Responses to whole wheat waffles with rhubarb-blueberry-cardamom compote

1. Maria says:

These need to be breakfast in the morning! Love!

2. sara forte says:

gorgeous photo of the compote! I love it. I too, really love Melissa’s waffle recipe. I make them different every time. Some mornings feeling gluten free, tomorrow I am making them lighter and throwing a bunch of seeds in. I thought I may regret buying a waffle maker but I’ve certainly got my use of it! I’m excited to try this compote version. Looks glorious, my friend.

3. Anna says:

Love that quote (and book) from Barbara Kingsolver and I love waffles for breakfast. They always seems like something special, but they are so easy and amazingly delicious.

4. Kankana says:

Love waffles, specially when it’s crispy and crunchy. We sometimes even eat it for dinne :)

5. Sarah says:

Oh perfect, this looks amazing, and I love the use of cardamom! It’s such a comforting scent when paired with other sweet flavours! Yum. :)

6. Sophia says:

I love the sound of the rhubarb, blueberry and cardamom compote. And yes, the pods are a bit of a pain but I think the fiddly work is worth it because the flavour is so much better than ready ground cardamom!

With instagram full of waffle pictures lately I wish I had a waffle iron as well. Alas I probably can’t justify buying another kitchen utensil just this moment. I did read though you can make waffles in a griddle pan … maybe I will need to try that!

7. I am in love with the idea of that rhubarb compote. Topping waffles with that compote and a dollop of fresh whipped cream sounds like breakfast heaven to me!

8. I agree with Sara – love the photo of the compote :) Beautiful as always

9. tara says:

Beautiful images, and thoughts to match.
    — signed, another member of “worries come in the night” club. xo

10. Such a lovely post, and so wonderful to enjoy the morning with your children and with such beautiful waffles.. I’m a cardamom junkie.. love the compote.

11. Spoongirl says:

Perfect breakfast! They look delicious :)

12. I love the vintage look of your waffles, my newer machine makes giant puffed up monsters!

13. Zoe says:

I saw 101 cookbook’s latest fruit salad with coriander seeds in it and thought it was a nice twist….and now you’ve just nicely teamed cardamom with rhubarb and honey. Love it! Great choice of ingredients!

14. That compote sounds like such a great combination, I love the use of cardamom, will have to try that, would be great on crepes too I think :-) Lovely lovely images.

15. I love the bright color of this compote! It sounds like a wonderful combination of fruit and spice flavors!

16. [...] 3. I am big on breakfast. I like to get up early and have something really hearty or nourishing or delicious or all of the above. These Whole Wheat Waffles with Rhubarb Blueberry Compote sound delicious. If you have a waffle maker they are a pinch to whip up. Make the compote the night before and you will fancily breakfastify your life in no time!  From The Vanilla Bean Blog. [...]

17. Sacha says:

Here’s my confession: I actually don’t own a waffle iron. Can you believe it? But that compote could go on anything (including a spoon). I love cardamon with rhubarb, and the vibrant color really makes those beautifully browned waffles pop!

18. All these beautiful waffles showing up on American blogs makes me wish I had a waffle maker… sadly it’s not that easy to find them down under :-/ One day….

19. [...] A different rhubarb pairing. (The Vanilla Bean Blog.) [...]

20. Kathryn says:

A lovely way to start the day.

21. molly says:

you know, i’d meant to pop over to say thank you, for your shout out, not long ago. mostly because i’d no idea that this small, quiet corner of lovely was lurking about. and now i do, lucky me.

and now, this. that kingsolver, man. she splits me wide open, every time. and still, somehow, i’d missed this one. thanks for that.

also? rhubarb + blueberry + cardamom = brilliant. will so be bringing this one to the table.

so happy to have found your space.

xo,
    molly

22. molly says:

ps: raised waffles are the BOMB. we’ve been making a variation of marian cunningham’s for years. so easy (almost done, by morning), and your house smells of yeasty toasty goodness all day.

m

23. [...] pickled vegetables; shortbread with cacao nibs and toffee; corn fritters; soft citrus drop cookies; whole wheat waffles with rhubarb-blueberry-cardamom compote; Danish potato salad and baked spinach with grits and [...]

24. I’ve had this up on my screen ever since you posted it. Can’t get my eyes off that compote. Must try soon. And still so honored my waffle recipe graces your iron and table. Means more to me than you’ll know!

25. [...] Recipes for Whole Wheat Belgian Waffles with Mascarpone, Thyme and Strawberries and Whole Wheat Waffles with Rhubarb-Blueberry-Cardomom Compote brings me ‘thisclose’ to buying [...]

26. […] Recipe adapted from The Vanilla Bean Blog.  […]