Pablo Neruda: Give us this day orange daylight, and every day, and may mankind’s heart, and its clusters of fruit, be both bitter and sweet: irrepressible source of freshness, may it hold and protect the earth’s mysterious simplicity, and the perfect oneness of an orange. [from Ode to The Orange]

Dahlia Ravikovich: An orange did love | The man who ate it, | To its flayer it brought | Flesh for the teeth. | An orange, consumed |  By the man who ate it,  Invaded his skin | To the flesh beneath.  [from The Love of an Orange]

Virginia Hamilton Adair: Your fingers pry the skin of a naval orange | Releasing tiny explosions of spicy oil… | Snows melt. The mountain silvers into many a stream. | The oranges are golden worlds in a dark dream.  [from Peeling an Orange]

Me: The orange is like a When I eat this salad it’s like Blood oranges! They are like the blahblahblah ugh! This is a tasty salad is it a salad or just a vegetables side? I don’t even know.  that I think you would like. You know how I like blood oranges! does anyone? I’m sort of obsessive. Is that annoying? I made this on a whim just be yourself, that’s right! and was so happy with the results. I think you’ll like it! you already said that. start over.

Sautéed Swiss Chard with Blood Orange Dressing

This salad actually did come about on a whim – I had some Swiss chard about to go bad and some blood orange dressing in the fridge. Goat cheese and pecans were thrown on last minute, and there it was, the loveliest lunch I’ve had in a long time. If you like a lot of dressing, double it and use it all, or, make a big batch (recipe here), and pour as desired. Also, you can omit the honey if you want things not as sweet.

1 bunch Swiss chard, stems and center ribs cut out and chopped, and leaves coarsely chopped separately
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 2 teaspoons
1 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons fresh blood orange juice

1/4 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
goat cheese, crumbled
1 blood orange, peeled and segmented

dressing [see note]
Mix together 2 tablespoons olive oil, honey, and orange juice in a small bowl. Set aside.

In a medium skillet heat up 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Add the chard stems and centers and sauté until softened, 3-4 minutes. Add the leaves and pour half of the dressing over them. Sauté until leaves are wilted and tender, 2-3 minutes. Add the orange pieces and cook for a minute until warm. Turn off the heat and add the rest of the dressing, tossing lightly to combine. Move chard to a bowl or plates and top with pecans and crumbled goat cheese to taste. Add a little pepper if desired.

18 Responses to sautéed swiss chard with blood orange dressing

1. Caitlin says:

what a beautiful salad! i love when things are thrown together with delicious results. and pecans make everything better. at least i think so ;)

2. Laura says:

This is so great! All of these thoughts do carry a certain poignancy. Even this!: “They are like the blahblahblah ugh!” Total transparency is my favourite.

I just woke up. I want this for breakfast.

3. erin says:

Ha- your paragraph just made me laugh! That is very close to my train of thought and all I think is, thank goodness for the delete key.

This salad looks lovely and I’m so happy to see all the blood orange recipes around the web recently!

4. Mmm, this is one super tasty looking whim. :)

5. I love this post, especially your scratched out comments at the bottom. Here’s the blood oranges – I can’t get enough of them either!

6. Don’t hate me. I have a blood orange tree in my backyard. I share your passion. Lovely recipe. Thanks for thinking of it!

7. sara forte says:

ha :) love it. gorgeous pictures, my dear.

8. Hilarious :-) Hey for what it’s worth, I find your blog and your images and recipes – and beautiful Pinterest pins btw – just as Poetic as Neruda :-) This recipe is so original and perfectly seasonal, will be giving it a try before winter’s over (got to get going, 21 days left!)

9. Eileen says:

Citrus sounds like it would make a beautiful counterpoint to the iron-y tang of chard! :)

10. Mmm this sounds like such a fabulous meal!

11. love that string of literary references to oranges…especially yours, clever and cute

12. Courtney says:

I love blood oranges and I most certainly love them in a savory setting. Yum!

13. Sacha says:

What a lovely lunch. Blood oranges are worth raving over. And sometimes, the best description of something is “this is tasty,” especially if it’s too good for words, as this appears to be!

14. london bakes says:

Ha, I can so relate to you crossed out paragraph. Funny and beautiful. How do you always do it?

15. Your serendipitous salad looks delicious! How simple, nutritious and perfectly easy! We’re going to feature this on our Facebook page and link here so people can see how you made it, and your lovely photography. If you wish, come LIKE us on Facebook for more recipes and tips on super healthy greens like kale, chard, beet, mustard, turnip, collard, escarole, dandelion and other green leafies. https://www.facebook.com/Cut.n.Clean.Greens

–Your friendly Southern California farmers at Cut ‘N Clean Greens

16. Kasey says:

I love this, that is all. Oh, and blood oranges, too. I am obsessed as well! xoxo

17. […] Sautéed Swiss Chard with Blood Orange Dressing […]