It’s muffins again. I know, I know, I’ve been obsessive. But, they’ve sort of become my go-to snack (no white sugar! or flour!) and I’ve been experimenting with new flavor combinations as friends line up for hand outs. Also, I’ve been having lots of trouble with my original adaption – the more things I add to the base, the more these pretties seem to sink. After much tweaking and snacking I think I’ve figured out a few fool-proof versions for you.

I also have some exciting news – my little site has had a total makeover thanks to the lovely ladies from Wooden Spoons Kitchen. It will be down this weekend while everything switches over, and then back up again Monday morning. I can’t wait to show you!

Gluten Free Muffins

These recipes are inspired by these muffins from Roost blog. I’ve been obsessively making them; however, I found that when I added lots of extras to them (fruit, chocolate, nuts), the center wouldn’t rise. I decided to do some tinkering to see if I could make the muffin bake up a bit better for me (I do need my chocolate, after all). Here are three versions that have worked well for me.

Apple-Cinnamon-Pecan Muffins

There are lots of options here – pears instead of apples (maybe grated carrots or parsnip?), different nuts, and spices. This recipe made about 9 muffins.

2 1/4 cups almond flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup milk (I used coconut)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup (loosely packed) grated apple (I used 2 very small apples)
1/2 cup toasted pecans, chopped
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375, and line a muffin pan.

In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon. In another bowl, whisk together honey, oil, milk, vanilla, egg, and baking soda. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined. Add the the grated apples and pecans and gently mix.
Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling the muffin cup almost to the top. Mix together the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle the tops, and bake for 15-18 minutes, until muffins are browned and a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then remove the muffins from the pan and continue to cool on the rack.
Espresso-Chocolate Muffins

This recipe made about 9 muffins.

2 cups almond flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup olive or canola oil
1/4 cup strong cold coffee
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoons cacao nibs
turbinado sugar, for sprinkling.

Preheat oven to 375, and line a muffin pan.

In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder. In another bowl, whisk together honey, oil, coffee, vanilla, egg, and baking soda. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined. Add the the chocolate and cacao nibs and gently mix.
Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling the muffin cup almost to the top. Sprinkle the tops with turbinado sugar, and bake for 15-18 minutes, until muffins are browned and a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then remove the muffins from the pan and continue to cool on the rack.
Banana Coffee Oat Muffins with Chocolate
This recipe was originally posted here. There is a lot of room for experimenting, as well. I’ve made these with blueberries and lemon, substituting blueberries for the bananas and fresh squeezed lemon juice for the coffee (and omitting the chocolate and cacao nibs).

Makes approx 10 muffins

2 cups almond flour
1/2 cups (gluten-free) oats
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup olive or canola oil
1/4 cup strong coffee, cold
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 banana, diced
1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate
2 tablespoons cacao nibs (optional)
turbinado sugar, for sprinkling.

Preheat oven to 375, and line a muffin pan.
In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, oats, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Whisk together honey, oil, coffee, vanilla, egg, and baking soda. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and mix gently until almost combined. Add the banana, chocolate, and cacao nibs if using, and mix until combined.

29 Responses to gluten free muffins (again + again)

1. Beautiful!!
    I am totally sold to the espresso-chocolate one!..
    B/W wishing you a smooth switch over, Can’t wait to see the new look here!

2. Sarah says:

Apple and Cinnamon Muffins are where it is at for me. I love that these are a gluten and white sugar free alternative!

3. I love muffins. I could ramble about a good muffin all day. I’m excited to try these as I’ve really been getting into gluten free baking lately.

4. Laura says:

Cannot WAIT to see the goodness that Melissa + Erin are gonna bring to your site! Also, never enough muffins. It’s my go-to mid morning snack with tea during the week. The chocolate and espresso! Gonna play around with an egg substitution on that over here. Need them.

5. eidolons says:

For the espresso muffins (because, come on, espresso!) do you think I could use regular flour? My middle son has a nut allergy. :/

I keep meaning to email you about the book I won from you. I love it! My oldest has been going through it placing bookmarks where he wants to try things – you’ve gotten the whole family excited! Thanks again! (:

6. Stefanie says:

Can’t wait to see the new site! Those espresso muffins sound to die for!

7. Melody says:

I’m eating a version of these right now and can’t wait to try these out! Yum!

8. Sacha says:

You know, after all of your posts, I *still* haven’t tried them. I will definitely give them (with your new tweaks) a shot soon, as I always have almond flour on hand. I’ve been digging things that can transition from breakfast to dessert and back to breakfast lately. I’m looking forward to the redesign!

9. Ashley says:

So very lovely. I adore the flavor combinations!! Can’t wait to see the new site.

10. Courtney says:

Keep the muffin variation coming! I’m especially loving this chocolate espresso variation with the cacao nibs in it :)

Oh, and can’t wait to see your new layout!

11. Jenny @ BAKE says:

Your photos are gorgeous as always – I love the sound of apple pecan it sounds incredible!

12. This recipe looks amazing! Sadly, my husband won’t touch anything with almond flour. Any suggestions for a substitution in the muffin?

• Sarah says:

I haven’t tried any other flours here, so I’m not sure, sorry! I’ve been meaning to try whole wheat and spelt to see if it would bake up the same. I’ll let you know when I do – and if you do, please let me know!

13. Kasey says:

Congratulations on the site redesign! It looks fabulous – Melissa and Erin are so talented! Second, I find myself obsessing over certain dishes and making a bajillion variations on them, and I find nothing wrong with that. Hooray for delicious muffins!

14. [...] recipe is originally called an espresso chocolate muffin, but considering it did not have espresso in it, [...]

15. [...] Beet/carrot/apple/celery/lemon juice and apple grain free almond flour vegan muffins that I made mini for [...]

16. Daniella says:

Does it matter if the bananas are SUPER ripe for the Banana Coffee Oat Muffins with Chocolate??
    Ta! X :)

17. Hi Sarah,
    These apple cinnamons were absolutely delicious. Like little apple crumbcakelettes! Paleo boyfriend devoured 2 after they cooled. I’m so glad you tinkered with that original base recipe- these have a nice lightness while the other ones tend to be stiffer. I have to report my baking time (I got 9, too) was quite longer, more like 25-28 mins until clean toothpick/browned top, and they were not overdone. Maybe my apple was super moist after being grated? Do you squeeze your apples like you would zucchini? Best, Meredith

18. Rebecca says:

I’ve been doing a good amount of experimenting with vegan/gluten free baking and lately started incorporating the honeyville farms almond flour, but I’m really struggling! They don’t bake through! What is happening? I made the apple-cinnamon-pecan today with the only substitution being a flax egg for the dairy egg. In order for the center to be baked through, I had to completely burn the outside (top, sides and bottom!). Not intentionally of course! Anyway, throwing out a whole batch of these expensive muffins was very sad and I’d love any pointers you may have.

19. Rebecca says:

Thanks Sarah for the references. They were helpful. I’ve had luck with flax ‘eggs’, but maybe it’s the combination with the almond flour. I’ll keep on tinkering.

20. Gourmesso says:

This recipe is exactly what I was looking for quite a while! Many thanks for the share, will most definitely give it a try this weekend

21. Salvegging says:

Yum! So I am reporting back that the chocolate espresso muffs are also great. I finally got me some cocoa nibs at the same time I had a chocolate bar and powder and bam. They taste so decadent. I’m intrigued with your tinkering to loosen up the batter a bit from the roost recipe and I love how you get more muffins with less ingredients. Xo

22. baker123 says:

I made the espresso chocolate muffins and was disappointed in how they came out. They were dense and dry. I followed the recipe exactly, so I don’t know what could have went wrong.

• Sarah says:

Hello- I’m so sorry you had trouble with the muffins! I have had other readers make them with success; is it possible you over baked them a bit, or your oven’s temperature may be off? That could account for the dryness.