I often find myself flitting between two seasons. I do happen to live in a State that seems to only bring winter and summer, with more of the first. There is no mild weather here; we are freezing cold to blazing hot, with only a handful of perfect days in between (those days where the warm, breezy afternoons make their way into a cool, breezy evenings…) But here and now it is mostly cold, always cold. I find myself feeling the same inside. There times where my head and heart are racing with words and ideas and it’s all I can do to keep up with them, but mostly I feel snowed in. The words are there but buried, and I can’t dig them up and place them in sentences.

But there has been a small break through, one word jotted down on the corner of some crumbled paper on my desk: core. My heart has been beating it through me all week, over and over; it courses along with my blood: core. Here, buried in snow, waiting for spring; here, where unending white blankets bring silence to all streets; here and now is the time to focus on the core.

The core of me: of my mind, my soul, my body.

Citrus Dressing

This dressing is on the sweet side. You can tone it down as much as you’d like – there is a lot of room for adjustment here. If you are trying to cut back on sugar, add it 1 tablespoon at a time to the juice and oil mixture until you get a balance you like. I usually use equal amounts of all three ingredients with the tarter citrus (lemon, grapefruit, and limes), and less sugar with the orange dressing. I really prefer Meyer lemons in a lemon dressing, but regular lemons are delicious, too. Honey works well as a replacement for the sugar, just remember you will want to use less, since it has a stronger flavor. A teaspoon or two of poppy seeds would be a nice add in.

1/3 cup fresh squeezed citrus juice (from oranges, lemons, limes, or grapefruit)
2-5 tablespoons sugar or honey (see note)
1/3 cup olive or canola oil

Mix or shake ingredients together.

Mixed Greens with Citrus Dressing

The salad pictured above has a meyer lemon-sugar-canola oil dressing with roasted grapes, toasted pecans, grated carrots, and feta cheese.
Fill a bowl with greens, and add any or all of the following: chopped apples or pears, roasted grapes, dried fruit, crumbled feta or goat cheese, toasted nuts, and grated carrots. Pour dressing over the top and toss lightly to combine. Serve.

Sautéed Swiss chard with dried cherries, goat cheese, pine nuts, + grapefruit dressing

1 bunch Swiss chard, stems and center ribs cut out and chopped, and leaves coarsely chopped separately
grapefruit-honey-olive oil dressing (recipe above)

1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
goat cheese, crumbled
handful of dried cherries

In a medium skillet heat up 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Add the chard stems and centers and sauté until softened, 3-4 minutes. Add the leaves and pour 2-3 tablespoons of the dressing over them. Sauté until leaves are wilted and tender, 2-3 minutes. Add the dried cherries and cook for a minute until warm. Turn off the heat and add 2-3 more tablespoons of dressing, tossing lightly to combine. Move chard to a bowl or plates and top with pine nuts and crumbled goat cheese to taste. Add a little pepper if desired.

18 Responses to citrus dressing [with all kinds of options] and greens two ways

1. Beautiful Sarah! I’m editing some photos I took from my last few trips in NYC with vsco film. I’m in love. 🙂

2. nuesselkram says:

Thanks for this idea, i think the next salat will be a salat with a grapefruit dressing 😉

3. carey says:

Our states sound like seasonal sisters. When it began snowing yet again yesterday, I felt like curling up under my desk and hibernating until I was sure there was nothing but rain and puddles outside. Citrus is such a welcome brightness in these persistent cold, grey days. Lovely post, Sarah. It’s nice to be reminded that there are others working their way through these last weeks of winter in the same way I am. 🙂

4. That first photo is simply stunning Sarah. And lovely, simple recipes too – just the bright zing of flavour I want to be eating on cold spring days.

5. Caitlin says:

how fun! i love these ideas! you do wonders with citrus fruit and everything always looks beautiful.

6. Hannah says:

Your citrus dressings are definitely rays of sunshine on the gray day we’re having here! I’m delighted to discover your blog, Sarah (by way of Emma’s) and look forward to reading more.

7. Eileen says:

Using fresh citrus in a salad dressing sounds like the perfect way to perk up winter greens. Hooray!

8. Your pictures are incredible – so simple and so stunning…

9. Kate says:

I’ve been making citrus based vinaigrettes too, swapping oranges and lemons with grapefruit and lime and loving how the burst of oil from zesting the flesh fills the room with olfactory sunshine. If I could just breathe that scent in from January to April, I think Winter might be a bit more tolerable. Beautiful photos, as always.

10. I’m loving winter greens in both cold and warm salads at the moment. Can’t wait to try the citrus dressing!

11. Anonymous says:

Quality posts is the crucial to be a focus for the people to pay a quick visit the web page, that’s what this web page is providing.

Feel free to surf to my blog :: visit website

12. I have quite a love of citrus dressings. My favorite salad is mache with lemon and dried cranberries and almonds. So simple yet so bright and delicious and refreshing. I love the addition of honey and will have to try that next time.

13. Ashley says:

I have become obsessed with citrus recipes this year, especially incorporated with salad. Love the overhead jar/dressing shots. Beautiful!

14. Jenny @ BAKE says:

gorgeous photos again! they’re always such a joy to look at, I love the sound of this dressing, I’m going to be relying on it heavily this summer

15. […] spending a week staring at her site, I really wanted to whip up a citrusy salad dressing. I’ve been on a rather large orange kick recently (it helps me think warm California […]