My daughter has been dreaming of a Valentine’s cake for weeks, after seeing a heart-shaped cake in this little cookbook she received for Christmas. It was sort of a last minute affair regardless of all her planning and sketching; I was up late last night baking the cake, and there was a quick trip to the co-op this morning to get forgotten frosting ingredients. Also, Ms. [W] was insistent on red flowers. She was convinced the last little bouquet at the market was full of roses, and I let her believe it.

We all agreed that the best part of this special treat was the raspberry buttercream, hands down. It is from The Smitten’s new cookbook, and while I added a splash of vanilla and a pinch of salt [I couldn’t help myself], I found it to be absolutely perfect. The berry flavor is light, but just right with the chocolate. And the chocolate cake is always a winner in our house. Happy Valentine’s Day!

Chocolate Heart Cake with Buttercream Frosting
We used our favorite chocolate cake recipe for the base of this cake. Instead of baking it in two 8 inch round cake pans, I baked it in one 8 inch round and one 8 inch square pan [make sure your pans are at least 2 inches high]. To make a heart shape, you can follow the directions here [there is also a small picture of how to do it in the above picture].

Raspberry Buttercream
adapted from the Smitten Kitchen

1 cup raspberries
16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
4 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
good pinch of fine salt

In a food processor or blender, puree berries until very smooth. Put the puree through a fine mesh strainer to remove the seeds. You’ll have about 1/3-1/2 cup berry puree. Set aside.

Beat the butter until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at time, scraping down the sides and beating well after each addition. Add 1/4 cup of the raspberry puree, and mix well. Add a bit more if you’d like a darker color [I thought 1/3 cup was a great amount]. Add the vanilla and salt, and beat until combined and the frosting is fluffy.

25 Responses to chocolate heart cake with raspberry buttercream

1. sara forte says:

oh my this looks delicious. I’ve had cake on the brain and I love that it’s in a heart, so cute! We have visitors next weekend. The perfect time to make a cake that you want more than two people responsible for consuming.

2. Dana says:

Just stunning. Love this Sarah! I love the photos, the recipe, the feel, everything! Happy Valentine’s Day. You’re one talented lady.

3. london bakes says:

Your daughter has excellent taste – I wish I’d baked this for our valentine’s day!

4. Such a cute idea love the heart shape cake. My favorite buttercream is strawberry and I have never made raspberry buttercream. Thanks for the recipes.

5. Sacha says:

A classic combination, made beautiful. On that cake those carnations (shhh) look pretty as roses. Happy Valentines Day!

6. This is so sweet! I love the flower on top too–nice touch Ms. [W]! A heart shaped cake seems like the proper shape for one’s favorite chocolate cake. Lovely!

7. This is gorgeous! I love it (and it looks huge!). Happy Valentine’s Day! XO

8. Anonymous says:

The cake looks nice. I just don’t like buttercream.
    Mia

9. Raspberry buttercream sounds gorgeous, especially smothered over a darkly chocolaty cake. Your daughter is a girl after my own heart 🙂

10. Laura says:

Your gal is so sweet. Love that second last shot of her little hand flipping through the cookbook. Heart: melting.

And a heart shaped chocolate cake with raspberry buttercream?!?!? With flowers on top?!?! You are the ultimate valentine.

11. seriously is there anything better than raspberry buttercream?
    oh wait there is: raspberry coulis.
    of which I cannot wait to drink this summer–yes i drink it, so good.

12. Elizabeth says:

I love this elegant cake. It’s festive and perfect, without be cloying or too lacy or too cutesy. Our Valentine’s was far less exciting (think mac and cheese), but I going to bookmark your recipe for Valentine’s Days to come.

13. Jenny @ BAKE says:

I love the dark sponge with the pink icing, it’s so pretty!

14. Elisabeth says:

I just made your frosting. Simply amazing!

• Sarah says:

Elisabeth! Thank you so much for letting me know. I’m so glad you liked it. 🙂

• Bella says:

Hi Sarah,
        the cake looks lovely and I would like to try it myself. However, I’m quite unfamiliar with the ‘ounces’ and ‘sticks’ system. When I googled 16 ounces it converted it to 450g, but when I googled 2 sticks of butter it said 230g. Which one is the correct amount?
        Thanks so much!

• Sarah says:

Bella – It should have said 16 tablespoons, not ounces. I’m glad you noticed that! So it should be 230g of butter. Let me know how it turns out for you – Sarah

15. Kate says:

Your link to “our favorite chocolate cake” is not working. Can I assume correctly that it is the same recipe as “the chocolate cake”? If so, does the coffee in that recipe come out more with the raspberry flavor? I want to make this as a birthday cake for my daughter who wants a pink chocolate cake! Thoughts…

16. EL says:

Please help! I’m confused by the frosting directions:

In a food processor or blender, puree berries until very smooth. Put the puree through a fine mesh strainer to remove the butter until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.

When do you add the butter? What does remove the butter mean? Thanks!

• Sarah says:

So sorry about that! I’m not quite sure what happened, but it looks like part of the instructions got deleted. I fixed them now! Let me know if you have any other questions. -Sarah

17. Jessica Hart says:

See more about chocolate cake icing, chocolate cake fillings and chocolate sculptures.

18. […] 20. Chocolate Heart Cake with Raspberry Buttercream from The Vanilla Bean Blog […]