Happy Saturday. Here’s a special, tasty treat: cacao nib pancakes with coffee syrup. I don’t know if I can go back to plain ol’ hotcakes drizzled with maple. {And, as I’m rather addicted to 8tracks.com, here’s a little morning music mix for you to enjoy your pancakes with.}

pancakes with cacao nibs + coffee syrup

I have two recipes for pancakes that this will work with, these buttermilk pancakes [just omit the strawberries] and these whole wheat pancakes [just omit the pear]. And, I’m fairly confident your own favorite recipe will work great, too. Just add 2 tablespoons cacao nibs to the dry ingredients in either recipe.
coffee syrup

This ‘syrup’ is buttery and delicious. You can add a little more or less coffee to your liking.

1 stick butter
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup strong coffee
Melt the butter, honey and coffee together in a saucepan over medium heat. Heat until boiling and slightly thickened, 2-3 minutes. Keep syrup warm until serving.

20 Responses to pancakes with cacao nibs + coffee syrup

1. This is such a fabulous, unique recipe! These pancakes are so pretty!

2. Kasey says:

Omg, Sarah. Coffee syrup? This is GENIUS! Happy Saturday to you! x

3. london bakes says:

Coffee syrup sounds like a perfect topping for pancakes and I love the idea of throwing in some cocoa nibs for that extra bite. Lovely!

4. Rhonda Hakim says:

This looks yummy! Being a culinary student, I have come up with my own Fluffy Buttermilk Multigrain Pancake. It is the best multigrain because I don’t use corn meal which makes it heavy and dense… I’ve been using a blend of Molasses, Corn Syrup, and Vanilla Bean for syrup. I wanted a dark sweet taste to pair with it. Now I’m thinking, I must pervert my Pancake with your Cacao Nibs, and your Coffee Syrup…. Thanks! 🙂

5. Jenny @ BAKE says:

These sound incredible! I love the sound of coffee syrup instead of maple!

6. Sonja says:

This sounds like such an interesting combination of flavors! I’m not sure if you’ve mentioned this before, but do cacao nibs have any sort of nutritional benefit over chocolate chips? Also, I’m listening to your mix now — thank you!

• Rebekah R says:

Cacao nibs are just cacao beans that have been roasted and hulled and broken into pieces. They have no added sugar and have usually not been processed any further than the roasting. They taste similar to a mild coffee bean, but with that definite bitter ‘cocoa’ flavor; if you’ve ever tasted plain cocoa powder, you know what I mean.

7. This is perfect for my usual saturday morning pancakes.

8. C. says:

These sound delicious and so creative. I will have to try these. Thanks for sharing!

9. I don’t drink coffee but I love the flavour sweetened up so coffee syrup is my dream in terms of a breakfast time caffeine fix! Love the accompanying soundtrack too.

10. Simple pancakes are just fine, you know, to have in a regular breakfast. But making pancakes with something else makes morning to be splendid, whatever you decide to put inside it will make a different and happy pancake. I still have some cacao nibs stored in a jar, the ones that my brother gave to me…so I will try with my pancake recipe.

11. Caitlin says:

coffee syrup sounds absolutely delicious, especially with cacao nib flecked pancakes.

12. Darla says:

You gave coffee syrup to your son. Best mom ever.

13. Nice Recipe…thanks for share!!

14. […] cacao nibs you be crazy, feel free to replace them with chocolate chips. Sarah posted a recipe for coffee syrup and I think you should try it. Also, I think it’s worth mentioning that I’ve […]

15. Anne says:

Wow, you’ve certainly got me in the mood for pancakes! These sound great. It’s so nice to make your own pancakes and syrup yourself, and I love your coffee syrup idea. Thank you

16. Sara says:

I tried it, didn’t like it. Couldn’t taste the coffe… It just tasted like buttery honey.

• Sarah says:

Sara – Sorry you didn’t care for it! It is very buttery. I’ve made it several times and thought the coffee flavor was really strong. Maybe I’m using a darker roast?

17. […] the mean time I’ll be listening to this … hoping to make this and this and waiting for this in the […]