When we moved into our house the kitchen we acquired was painted a light beige, but I was way into green [everything was green!] and so I slapped asparagus paint on the walls, loving the shock of color every time I walked into the room. I had come from years of dorm rooms and apartments that were entirely white, and I lamented at the lack of color in my life. So our house was redecorated in every room, in bright green, burgundy, and blue.
But now, this week, we are almost done painting the kitchen white; the ceiling, walls, and woodwork are all the same. Seven years into this space and the loud hues had begun to tire my eyes, make me weary. Stepping into January’s cold winter mornings, I find myself lingering at the kitchen table, soaking in the new white space, a clean slate. The walls seem to be one with the high piles outside: snow and ice and paint all blend together. I sit by the small fire there in our kitchen and stare out the window, recalling all the mornings I was young, I was a pioneer. I left new tracks in the fresh snow, undaunted by the wind or cold…

gluten-free honey coffee cacao muffins

These muffins are adapted from Roost, and you can find the recipe here. I only made a few changes: I used olive oil instead of ghee, and I added 1/4 cup strong, cold coffee and 1 teaspoon vanilla to the wet ingredients, and then added 2 tablespoons of cacao nibs to the dry ingredients. I also sprinkled them with a little sugar in the raw before baking.

I really, really like these muffins. They were made for a New Years Day brunch, and trumped the blueberry scones I had also made. Such a great little treat!

19 Responses to gluten-free honey coffee cacao muffins

1. The muffins look so tasty! I can just picture myself nibbling on one and looking out our window at the big tree and the squirrel scurrying around in the snow. From what I’ve seen, you’re still a pioneer. πŸ™‚

2. SreeBindu says:

Yummy yumm, New follower here. Visit me sometime. wishing u a gorgeous new year ahead πŸ™‚
    xx

3. Laura says:

Loving your additions to Caitlin’s recipe. These sound so perfect, lovely to have with a cup of tea while you stare outside at the wondrousness of winter. It’s amazing how the bright white of the snow reflects onto white walls and bounces all over when the powder is fresh. I love the house in that cool winter glow. Happy new year to you, friend xo

4. I remember seeing the recipe on Roost and these look just as, if not more, delicious πŸ™‚ Love cocoa nibs in my baking at the moment, so delicious.

5. I have to get on the white paint bandwagon. My whole house is bagel. It is so dull and makes my skin and food look yellowish. I hate it.

6. Melody says:

So delicious! Can’t wait to make these!

7. london bakes says:

Perfect sounding muffins and I’m completely in love with the photographs in this post, especially the gorgeous back lighting in that last one.

Happy new year Sarah, I love the idea of starting the year with a fresh white kitchen.

8. kankana says:

This is so funny! I just posted a cocoa and coffee bundt cake recipe πŸ™‚ Love the flavor combination.
    I too love colors, and my room back at my parents place is still colored purplish πŸ™‚

9. Eileen says:

These muffins look so good! I bet there’s an excellent crunch from the cacao nibs. πŸ™‚

10. Liesl says:

They look delicious, Sarah!

11. yes i’ve finally started the GF recipe experimentation. and so far it’s going quite well.
    the GF things that I’ve bought & tasted were awful, so I naturally assumed GF
    was for tasteless.
    but if you make it yourself, you can jazz it up.
    so I should give these muffins a go

12. Sacha says:

I love what you did with this recipe. And if it’s almond flour based, it’s a win for me. It’s funny, I dream of being surrounded by white. I love green too–my cabinets are olive green, my walls are beige–but I now prefer a cleaner look, from floor to ceiling. The beige is so drab.

Happy baking in your kitchen!

13. What a great recipe! I like your additions to the original recipe. Will definitely be trying this soon.

14. Happy new year, Sarah. Sometimes pure white light is just what we need. These muffins sound delicious.

15. Christine says:

I made these this morning and they were so delicious! Literally, the best grain free muffins I have made. I ended up doubling the recipe and adding the vanilla and about a cup of diced rhubarb. They were so moist and yummy…my kids devoured them as well! Thanks for the recipe…I knew if you made them that they would have to taste wonderful…it did not disappoint. Hope you guys have a wonderful summer as well.

16. Emily Limaye says:

The link no longer works for the roost posting – do you still have the original recipe?