‘As the years pass, I am coming more and more to understand that it is the common, everyday blessings of our common everyday lives for which we should be particularly grateful. They are the things that fill our lives with comfort and our hearts with gladness – just the pure air to breathe and the strength to breath it; just warmth and shelter and home folks; just plain food that gives us strength; the bright sunshine on a cold day; and a cool breeze when the day is warm.’ – Laura Ingalls Wilder

Italian Lentil Soup

I believe this recipe comes from the Moosewood Daily Special. I had it jotted down in my recipe notebook from college. I’ve changed it just a little here. You can use canned or fresh tomatoes, and fresh thyme can be substituted for the dried [use 1 tablespoon fresh instead].

2 cups lentils
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
4 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
2 large carrots, peeled and diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
2 cups tomatoes, diced
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon dried thyme
salt and pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar

Rinse the lentils well, and put them in a large stock pot or dutch oven. Cover with the stock and water, add the salt, and then bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and let the lentils simmer for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, saute the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery in the olive oil until the carrots are tender. Add to the lentils after their 30 minute simmer. Add the tomatoes, mustard, thyme, and pepper. Continue simmering for another 30 minutes. When lentils are finished cooking, add the red wine vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Serve.

11 Responses to italian lentil soup

1. london bakes says:

Gosh Sarah, the pictures in this post take my breath away. Just stunning. And what a perfectly apt quotation. Love this.

2. Eileen says:

Hooray for lentils! So simple and so classic and good. πŸ™‚

3. kankana says:

It very similar to Indian daal and I agree with that quote! Lentil and bread can make any harsh day comforting.

4. Renee says:

Some days all I want is a bowl of lentils and a quote from Laura Ingalls. Thank you Sarah.

5. Simple and lovely, and mouth watering. Beautiful quote. Thank you πŸ™‚

6. I loved the Little House books when I was younger – my Mum used to read them to my brother and I.
    Lentils are such a comfort dish too – this soup looks wonderful.

7. Jenny @ BAKE says:

this sounds incredible! Absolutely delicious in this chilly weather

8. I am loving that Laura Ingalls Wilder quote- pretty sure I read all the Little House books when I was little πŸ™‚

Lentils are such a great soup ingredient! My husband and I just enjoyed some lentil stew for dinner.

9. This is such a lovely post. I want to cozy up on the couch with this lentil soup!

10. Anonymous says:

I make lentil soup very often, especially in fall and winter, nothing on the planet is better for you, not to mention the deliciousness> πŸ™‚
    love your post!