A few weeks ago Hannah from Honey & Jam commented on Twitter that she could ‘really use a piece of pie right about now.’ I had just made a pie; it was sitting proud and pretty on my kitchen counter, and so I tweeted back, wishing I could send her over a slice. Stephanie from Desserts For Breakfast and Beth from Local Milk also chimed in, and we all wished for a pie date. So we decided to come as close as we could, creating a virtual pie party for today. And so, here it is, at my house.
I open the door to my home and the smell of warm peaches filter past, spilling off the front porch into the cool, crisp air. You were thinking I’d do pears, or apples, but I tell you I couldn’t resist that last crate of peaches at the co-op, and that I was missing my dear Grandma Ethel, who made the tastiest peach pie this side of the Mississippi. You sit down while Ella Fitzgerald sings soft and sweet, and I fill your cup full of deep, dark coffee while your foot taps along to the music. We talk slowly at first, with purposeful questions, but soon we pick up speed, feeling comfortable glimpsing into other worlds. We eat together, our tiny jar pies disappearing quickly, the sweet peaches giving us all one more day of summer to hold on to. Little hands and eyes peek over the table, shyly wanting to meet everyone, and also hoping for tiny pies of their own. They are given what they’ve asked for, with smiles all around. We move on to topics of food, and cookbooks, while exclaiming frequently how amazing this modern world is, how we are all sitting here together, each of us from so far away. There is a break, our spoons rattle and clang around our jars, our cups are stained black but empty. Ms. Fitzgerald is now whispering, lamenting so quietly that our time is up, we must move on, get back. And so, the door opens and closes again. I pick up the jars, and spoons, and cups and bring them to the sink. Drifting, dreaming in an azure mood I sing along with Ella. Stardust gleaming, through my solitude. There is one pie left, forgotten on the counter. I put the jar in the fridge, thinking of how tomorrow, somehow, I will eat it alone, yet still be near {just a click away!} to so many good souls.
{For these jar pies I used Deb’s Peach Pie recipe. My Grandma made a killer pie, but sadly never passed the recipe on. These little lovlies turned out great, but I had forgotten to use Cook’s Illustrated’s wonderful tip of placing the pies on a preheated baking sheet, so the bottom crust ended up being a bit soggy. Next time, next time.

Also, stay tuned for pie posts from the lovely ladies at Local Milk, Desserts for Breakfast, and Honey & Jam. I can’t wait to come over.}

40 Responses to a little pie party

1. I’m always down for a pie party! Yum!

2. Love this idea and love the look of these beauties!

3. Erin says:

Love, love, love this! These little pies look perfect (especially with the addition of ella and coffee!)

4. Kari McNew says:

What a sweet little story. Thank you for sharing! Too Cute!

5. So many <3s! Best virtual pie party I’ve ever been to. :D

6. Eileen says:

Pie party! Hooray! I need to do this with the peaches in my fridge right now… :)

7. Sonja says:

These are so cute! We’ve done crisps in ball jars but never pie – great idea :)

8. *kate says:

You’re a rockstar, Sarah. I love ya!

9. Y says:

Mmmm.. pie party! Those look amazing. Can’t wait for peaches to come into season here.

10. Your little peach pies are so sweet, and how wonderful it is to find meaningful friendships and come together in this virtual world! Thanks for sharing your party.

11. Elenore says:

Oh, this is the most wonderful idea ever!

12. london bakes says:

I think this is pretty much the best party I’ve ever been to :)

13. Sarah B. says:

Oh man, obsessed with your pies in little jars like these! And actually, I happen to enjoy a wet bottomed crust most times. These are perfect Sarah! Your photos are fantastic as always. amazing amazing.

14. What a lovely idea! These miniature pies are just divine and the whole concept behind it is wonderful.

15. Courtney says:

Just found your blog and am in love with all of the recipes and beautiful photos so far. Ironically, I have been craving pie lately so a pie party sounds lovely!

16. Local Milk says:

In the midst of the craziness of life I just had the chance to sit down and read this. This is going to sound ridiculously sentimental (seeing as I *am* ridiculously sentimental) but it actually made me a little misty. It’s so nice that no matter what’s going on in the outside world that there are so many talented, beautiful people a click away that share my passion for writing, photos, and, of course, food that I have come to know through this strange little wormhole of the internet. I’m very grateful to have “met” each of you! It has been one of the best and most unexpected awesomenesses of deciding to start up my little space. I hope to actually sit down for a chat & a bite one fine day. Truly! And as I said, I’m just loving the Ella & record player photos. I’m going to have to include a record in mine too…a fantastic idea for a virtual party!

17. Kimberley says:

These mini peach pies are just the cutest. It makes me wish for one last hurrah with them before they’re truly and finally done, though I may have missed my chance. And I love the record player detail too. :)

18. Kasey says:

This is so beautiful, friend! I love the little jars of pie, and especially adore the record player and the role that Ella played in it all :) I wish we could chat over some records and pie! xo

19. Robyn says:

fabulous. peaches are not easy to get here-but am going to try…

20. Amy says:

Hi – I just came across your blog by way of Honey and Jam, and I just have to say that I love your photography, recipes, and the intent behind the blog itself. It’s all truly wonderful :)

21. Yum!!! I love the idea of using jars for inidividual pies. Your post and photographs are beautiful. Thanks for sharing x

22. [...] companion since it’s release, and was playing as I baked this up. Be sure to check out Sarah, Beth, and Stephanie’s posts for their lovely pies & music [...]