roasted grapes [haiku]
I am taken with
you: alone, or sleeping with
covers of sweet crust.
We ought to do good to others as simply as a horse runs, or a bee makes honey, or a vine bears grapes season after season without thinking of the grapes it has borne. – Marcus Aurelius

rustic grape tarts

tart dough recipe from cooks illustrated
These tarts are fairly easy to make, and because the grapes are so sweet, only a touch of sugar is needed. The crust is very flaky, but still soaks up all the juice the grapes leak, creating a very delicious bite. I made tartlets, and used about 3/4 cup of grapes per tart, plus a cluster on top.

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
10 tbsp butter, cut into small pieces
3-6 tbsp ice water
red and green grapes, loose and a few small clusters still attached to the twig [see note] 1 tablespoon sugar
crust
Process the flour, salt, and butter in a food processor until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs, and the butter is the size of small peas. Add the water through the feed tube 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough holds together when pinched [about 10 pulses].
to fraisage the dough:
Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and gather into a rectangular shaped pile. Use the heel of your hand to smear the dough against the work surface. Continue to smear until all the dough has been worked. Gather into a pile again, and repeat. Flatten dough into a 6 inch disk, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for about an hour.
Roll the dough into a 12 inch circle [or 6 small circles, about 6 inches wide] on a  piece of parchment paper, and refrigerate  for 20 minutes.
Adjust your oven rack to the middle position and heat to 375.
Mound a few grapes in the center of your rolled dough, leaving a 2 inch border [or 1 inch border for tartlets]. Fold the outermost dough over the fruit, pleating it as you go [about every 2-3 inches]. After making the pleats, go back and put in more grapes, covering the bottom [the pleats will help the grapes from rolling everywhere] and tucking them under the pleats. Place a small cluster of grapes still attached to the twig on top of the loose grapes, if desired. Brush the dough with water and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar [or 1/2 teaspoon for each tartlet].

Bake until tart is deep golden brown and the grapes are slightly wrinkled and their juices are leaking, about 1 hour [less for tartlets – about 35-45 minutes]. Rotate baking sheet halfway through baking.
Cool the tart on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then use the parchment to transfer tart to a wire rack. Cool about 25 minutes. Serve.

20 Responses to rustic grape tarts

1. These tarts are simple and yet spectacular. Such a beautiful sentiment with this post as well.

2. SreeBindu says:

this is my first time ever looking or knowing about roasting grapes :), looks delicious.
    xoxo

3. Nicole says:

Your tarts are gorgeous! The contrast of the red and green grapes next to each other is just so pretty.

4. Kasey says:

I love roasting grapes – it brings out their sweetness and gooeyness like nothing else. What a simple, beautiful tribute…and gorgeous tarts!

5. Erin says:

Grapes are one of those things I’ve never tried roasting (which is surprising, I’ve roasted everything else!) These tarts look divine!

6. Christy says:

You know, I fell in love with roasting last winter, but that was just vegetables! And I’m seeing more and more articles on roasting fruit. This particular recipe looks like a must- thank you so much for an awesome idea!

P.S. Also new to your blog, and I’m loving it so far 🙂

7. Sacha says:

They’re gorgeous! It’s so nice to see something different in a tart. Grapes don’t get enough credit in desserts. Next, you have to try roasting them with onions and balsamic and fennel sausages ;).

8. kankana says:

I love roasted grapes. But I never really thought of putting on a tart. My husband loves grapes and I I think he will enjoy this tart too!

9. Jenny @ BAKE says:

I’ve never thought about roasting grapes before but yours look so beautiful and delicious I’m going to have to try!

10. Unknown says:

tarts in the oven 🙂 can’t wait!!!!

11. lieslmade says:

So beautiful. I never thought of roasting grapes.

12. I love this post! I cannot believe how simple it is, but it is so beautiful! Love the mini-ness of the tarts too! Irresistible! ~ nerdwithtaste.wordpress.com

13. […] some dumpster-dived mozzarella cheese. I also had half of a grape tart, which I made tonight using this recipe. The tarts […]