beet and honey pizza with whole wheat cracker crust

crust adapted from cooks country

This recipe makes two pizzas. I haven’t tried using all whole wheat flour in this crust, I found half of each flour was a good mix. I also think some crumbled gorgonzola or goat cheese would be a nice addition to this – the mozzarella keeps things mild. This crust can be used in other applications! It handles sauce and toppings very well.

dough
1 cup [5 ounces] all purpose flour
1 cup [5 1/2 ounces] whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup plus 4 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons olive oil

toppings
thyme-infused olive oil [recipe follows] 4-5 beets [green tops saved], roasted and cooled, and sliced into thin rounds
beet greens from beets
mozzarella cheese [to taste, for sprinkling] 3-4 tablespoons good honey [to taste] black pepper

to roast the beets
Trim the beets and wash. Wrap each beet in foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake in a 450 oven for about one hour, until beets are fork tender. Unwrap from foil and let cool.for the dough

Whisk dry ingredients together. Stir in water and oil until dough starts to come together [if there are lots of dry patches in the dough, add an extra tablespoon or two of water]. Knead on a lightly floured board 3 or 4 times, until cohesive. [Can be used right away, or refrigerated up to 3 days.]
Heat oven and pizza stone [lower middle rack] to 475. Divide dough in two equal pieces. Press the first piece in a small circle, and transfer to parchment paper dusted with flour. Use rolling pin to stretch dough to a 12 inch circle. Brush the dough with 2 tablespoons of the thyme infused olive oil. Top evenly with the half the beets, then sprinkle with mozzarella. Place half of the beet greens in a heap in the center of the pizza. Bake until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted, 9-12 minutes. Drizzle with 1-2 tablespoon thyme-infused olive oil and honey, and sprinkle black pepper to taste. Cool 2 minutes. Repeat with the second round.

thyme infused olive oil
1/4 cup good olive oil
3 thyme springs

Heat oil and sprigs together over low heat until fragrant, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.

30 Responses to beet and honey pizza with whole wheat cracker crust

1. london bakes says:

Just look at all those colours, what a glorious pizza.

2. Anna says:

I love beets on pizza, especially with some goat cheese along with the mozzarella. I haven’t tried using the greens though, good idea!

3. Anonymous says:

Looks delicious! What’s the cracker part?
    L

4. I’ve never tried beets on pizza. Great idea! Thanks for sharing, Sarah!

5. Eileen says:

Now that is one of the prettiest pizzas I’ve never seen. I love the idea of using herb-infused olive oil too.

6. Sacha says:

This is a Cook’s recipe I’m not familiar with. Somehow you got all of my favorite flavors on one pizza! Beets make everything prettier.

7. Gahhhh, Sarah, could you make this look any more gorgeous!!?! Wow, this is pure and stunning. Heaven. x

8. Beautiful beautiful pizza! I’m slowly learning to love beetroot and the thought of dotting it over pizza along with the green tops is just beautiful. I often make my dough with half and half wholemeal and strong white flour – it adds a wonderful nuttiness.

9. Jenny @ BAKE says:

these photos are amazing! I love the mixture of different coloured beetroot!

10. Deb says:

What a savory pizza! The beets are stunning, what a splendid idea!

11. Ashlae says:

This looks delicious! I’ve done shredded beets on pizza, but never sliced beets. I’ve got a few golden beets in my fridge.. which means I need to get to making some pizza.

12. Oh My! I am in love with this pizza! Speachless…

13. Oh my gosh, your photography – so stunning. Like fine art, almost <3

14. this looks great! I am going to try the crust with different toppings too! thanks!

15. tara says:

I cannot get over how beautiful this is. Happy spring!

16. […] being a big beet fan, I was pleasantly surprised how yummy this pizza was! (Recipe from here). It’s also a fun vegetarian option for pizza. Give it a […]

17. […] as you need them or bake tempeh or tofu. Pick up a batch of flatbread at your local bakery or make this super easy, super delicious pizza crust. That’s it. You’re good for the week in […]